Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Research gets in the way of Knitting!

I've been swept away with alot of 'social networking' tools. It was innocent enough, I was researching social media firms on behalf of a client - I was writing an RFP for something the client had only a casual knowledge about. From this research, I started reading some blogs/websites of these firms, who all unanimously agreed businesses need to be on Twitter and LinkedIn and, and, and...Needless to say I started twittering on January 7th, got myself overwhelmed with more information, friends and followers - I ended up reading a number of articles, and based upon all this information overload, started using google reader to 'manage' it all.

A friend has suggested I just hit 'delete' and leave it all alone. However, I've stepped into something that I want to learn more about. I'm going to take it slow, and will set up parameters to keep it from overwhelming my days (like it did a number of times last week). Strangely enough, I'd really like to try this information for finding more knitters :) Right now, I'll keep it at work, and keep ravelry as my knitting social life.

Speaking of knitting, since starting this social media research, I've only managed to knit a few times, so I promised myself I'd knit at least 3 rows on D's sweater each night before bed. That probably equates to more than I would have done otherwise! I had been putting off this sweater for so long - partially due to the sheer size of it (Men's XL), but also the fact I have to sew it together...it took me nearly 4+ weeks to make myself put lil k's accordion sweater together, I can't imagine how long it'll take to do a Men's XL?

This is why I have multiple projects on the go, (hats, mittens and socks)...I'm an instant gratification knitter!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It amazes me that anyone who works and has a family has time for anything!