Thursday, August 23, 2007

Boats and socks


My friend Ralph has a boat. He likes to fish. I've been in the boat once, we spent all of 11 minutes fishing, and instead spent the rest of the day playing good samaritans to 2 other boaters in distress. That was about a month ago. Yesterday morning (Wed), he invited me out in the boat to fish again. He managed to catch one pink and lost 5! Weather was cloudy but very nice and even though I didn't get a fish, I managed to get 3/4s of a toddler sock done!
Last night I finished the sock, but dear lil k was sleeping and even though I was very tempted to try his sock on his sleeping tootsie, I decided it wasn't worth the consequences of him waking up at 10:30pm!!!

So at breakfast this morning, we tried on a sock and lil k went "ooooooh, where's my other sock?" He's only 2.5yrs old...

Unfortunately, the sock is slightly too short to be a 'knee sock', and I don't want to rip apart the toe and reknit (anything to avoid frogging), so instead I'm almost finished the second sock, will let him wear them once they're done, and in all likelihood, I'll start knitting another pair, slightly longer, for the wedding...

Oh, and btw, ended up knitting 2" with the Galway on Tues night, and knew toddler tender tootsies would NOT wear that sock, so frogged it, and wound the skein of purewool crudo into a ball. It is so very, very, very soft and lovely to knit with. I originally didn't want to use it for fear of the sock felting - but oh well, better he be willing to wear soft sockies, than complain about itchy feet...

I now have requests to make adult versions of these socks...I've been carrying them around with me - it's amazing how much knitting time one can find waiting in lines, sitting chatting with friends, sitting on a boat waiting for the fish to bite, etc

No comments: