Saturday, April 19, 2008

Knit Night Facecloths


We have a biweekly knit night that I started, originally, as a pub night. It was a means for me to show a group of women from the daycare how to knit facecloths for wiping the children's faces. It eventually got moved to a coffee shop (much to my chagrin), but we still are making cloths for the children and that's okay by me.

Although facecloths may be 'boring knitting' to some, it doesn't have to be. It is an easier first time project than a scarf (boredom doesn't set in before you finish on a facecloth). And the first one I teach them is the 'grandmother's favourite' design, so they only knit (no purling), and learn increases by YarnOver and decreases by knitting 2 together. Now a couple have branched off on their own and have done some lovely feather/fan design cloths, and now a much more textured version, etc.

All in all, I think it's an easier way for people to learn, quick gratification, and the daycare can always use donated 'first, second, third projects'

No comments: