Sunday, May 18, 2008

Alternative techniques

Another pair of socks, another new technique! Today I'm making the SockWarsII sock "Scar"
since I didn't participate in that war, although I really liked the pattern! Have some beautiful Debbie Bliss Baby Cashemerino in a dark pink shade - making them for my pregnant sister-in-law so her feet feel pampered - although in the summer with pregnancy hormones, she likely won't need to wear them until winter!

As with all my socks to date, I'm trying a new technique - this time the Alternate Cable Cast-on (as recommended in the pattern) - looked at the knitting help site for the instructions. Video not working today (need to download something) so just read the instructions. Problem is, the written instructions don't specify when to move the working yarn. I started with the slipknot, knit into it and slip it knitwise onto the left needle, then purl between the two stiches, slip it knitwise onto the left needle, then knit in between the two stitches and so on. It was after about 5 stitches I realized the edge didn't look all that nice, so I moved the working yarn BEFORE slipping the stitch onto the left needle - so instructions would be knit into the space between the last two stitches, move working yarn to front, slip stitch on right needle knitwise onto left needle, purl in space between two stitches, move working yarn to back, slip stitch on right needle knitwise onto left needle, and so on...makes for a nicer edge...I can only hope it it elastic enough for the socks!
Note: unfortunately I can't get a closeup of the cast on edge in focus enough to show the difference - will try again later!

No comments: