Saturday, August 07, 2010

Running with Knitting...

Here are four colorful dishrags I knitted. The...Image via Wikipedia

As mentioned in yesterday's note, I was inspired by a photo in the June issue of Runner’s World Magazine about a knitter setting a record for the ‘longest scarf knitted in a marathon’ - I googled her and found her here: She doesn’t appear to be on Ravelry.

So last night I knit on the elliptical trainer - not a problem - cotton dishcloth, don’t need to look, I’m knitting on circular needles and could keep my running form…

Today, it was our long run (21km). So hubby and I run while our son rides his little bike out and back along the Galloping Goose Trail from just past the 13km marker to the 24km marker, then we have a snack and start running/riding back. I felt good at the start as knitting helped keep my neck/shoulder muscles in a more relaxed state than they were on last week's long run. I knit for first 3km, then spent the next 2km untangling the ball that slipped out of the belt :( - I own just one fanny pack, and my husband was wearing it with the snacks in it. Guess I learned a lesson to make sure I get another one or confiscate that one from him.
Sadly, due to rain I had to stop knitting :( - Because it was a cotton washcloth, it got really tough to pull those stitches along. Guess that's another lesson since the marathon is in October and might be similar rainy weather - I'll have to consider knitting wool(?)

I’ll try again tomorrow if the weather clears - we only have a "short" 6km run tomorrow :)
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

Holli Yeoh said...

I love how you're mulit-tasking with fitness and knitting. Just imagine how much you will be able to accomplish when you get your routine down.

Katherine C. said...

LOL - I'm all about efficiency :)